Health Foods - Nutrition - Diets - Recipes:
Favourite Hummos (Hoummos, Hummus....!)
Use organic produce wherever possible.
I frequently make this dip because it is high in protein and tasty. It goes with rice crackers/cornchips/toasted turkish bread/lavashes, is great with veggie sticks, or with oven baked vegetables. It is easy to make and keeps for a couple of days if you don't use it all straight away. It is also nice on toast or a rice cake with a slice of tomato, feta cheese and a little cracked pepper.
- 1 can organic chick peas (garbonzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 2 heaped tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (this is not essential but I like it for the taste and texture)
- 1 finely chopped clove of garlic - or a level teaspoon of crushed garlic
- pinch of salt
- couple of rounds of fresh cracked pepper
- Water First, blend all the ingredients - if it is too thick then add a little water - like a tablespoon worth - and blend again. Add more water as required - you want the consistency of the dip to be thick enough it will still form a peak.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of paprika or finely chopped shallots or parsely.
Additions and variations...
The above hummus recipe is a great base to which you can add a little extra flavour! You could add things like :
- finely chopped spanish (red) onion
- finely chopped shallots
- toasted sesame seeds
- cajun spice mix
- mexican spice mix
- cayenne pepper
- more fresh ground black pepper
- little bit of fresh chillie...
Article by Shauna Kendall